Release notes for Commons-Launcher 1.1
Launcher was imported into jakarta commons almost 2 years ago (25 okt 2002) but never had a release.
The Launcher Component is designed to be a cross platform Java
The original Java classes come from the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 project.
Tomcat has been shipping the 1.0-dev version from CVS for a while now
(definitely more than a year), so this official release will be labaled 1.1
to avoid confusion.
Commons-launcher eliminates the need for a batch or shell script to launch a
Java class. Some situations where elimination of a batch or shell script may
be desirable are:
- You want to avoid having to determining where certain application paths
are e.g. your application's home directory, etc. Determining this
dynamically in a Windows batch scripts is very tricky on some versions of
Windows or when softlinks are used on Unix platforms.
- You want to avoid having to handle native file and path separators or
native path quoting issues.
- You need to enforce certain system properties e.g.
java.endorsed.dirs when running with JDK 1.4.
- You want to allow users to pass in custom JVM arguments or system
properties without having to parse and reorder arguments in your script.
This can be tricky and/or messy in batch and shell scripts.
- You want to bootstrap system properties from a configuration file instead
hard-coding them in your batch and shell scripts.
- You want to provide localized error messages which is very tricky to do
in batch and shell scripts.
For more information consult the