Project Status and History
Apache Commons Sanselan was renamed to Apache Commons Imaging on 16 April 2012.
Version 0.90 released January 31st, 2008.
- Added some convenience functions for reading and writing GPS data.
- These are demonstrated in the metadata sample usage classes.
Version 0.89 released January 22nd, 2008. This release was mislabeled as 0.88
- Added EXIF insert/update/remove functionality. See WriteExifMetadataExample.java for examples.
- Rewrote JPEG and TIFF parsing.
- Greatly elaborated the unit test suite and test image suite.
- In the process found and resolved many bugs.
- Once again, I hope this is the last non-apache release. =)
Version 0.88 released November 17th, 2007.
- Restored original package structure. (org.apache.commons.sanselan.* -> org.cmc.sanselan.*)
- Refactored "byte sources," improving performance reading image data from InputStreams.
- More code cleanup, mostly removing debugging code and applying naming conventions.
- Fixed two bugs around pngs: alpha channels weren't be written properly, and alpha channel was not being preserved when reading grayscale pngs.
- Improved javadocs.
Version 0.87 released October 6th, 2007.
- Fixed a number of bugs.
- Began adding javadocs, starting with the facade classes: Sanselan, and every class returned by its methods.
- This is probably the last pre-apache release.
Version 0.86 released September 17th, 2007.
- Fixed bug with writing grayscale pngs.
- Fixed bug with gamma correction when reading pngs.
- Added image read param that allows control over BufferedImage creation.
- Removed an erroneous javadoc.
- Minor cleanup.
Version 0.85 released September 5th, 2007.
- Cleaned up Tiff image parser and writer.
- Added compression parameter to tiff image writer.
- Added an example that illustrates image writing, optional parameters, etc.
Version 0.84 released September 3rd, 2007.
- Fixed Tiff/Exif bug wherein rational number fields with a zero divisor prevented the metadata from being read, due to a "divide by zero" error.
Version 0.83 released August 30th, 2007.
- Fixed Tiff/Exif bug wherein Private IFD Tags were not being properly read.
- Added better metadata sample code.
Version 0.82 released August 30th, 2007.
- Complete refactor of the image metadata methods. See the new MetadataExample class for a simple example.
- Converted all of the Sanselan class's methods to static.
- Cleaned up some old code.
Version 0.81 released August 17th, 2007.
- Made a couple of methods of ImageInfo public (getColorType() and getColorTypeDescription()).
Version 0.80 released July 25th, 2007.
- I've begun a overhaul of the codebase in anticipation of becoming an Apache Incubator project.
- I've changed the package names (again) to be org.apache.commons.sanselan.*.
- I've removed the dependency on sharedlib.
- I've removed a great deal of old cruft.
- I've begun to apply a consistent naming convention to variables (lowerCamelCase) and constant names (ALL_CAPS).
Version 0.79 released June 21th, 2007.
- I've fixed that pernicious bug in LZW compression. I've switched the default TIFF compression scheme back to LZW.
- TIFF uses an unusual variation of LZW. For details, see this article. http://www.fileformat.info/mirror/egff/ch09_04.htm
- In this case, the bug was: trailing EndOfInformation codes are sometimes omitted. That is, if a EndOfInformation code is the last code of a block, it may not appear.
Version 0.78 released June 20th, 2007.
- LZW compression is buggy; this only effects writing TIFF. I've switched the default TIFF compression scheme to packbits which performs worse until this can be corrected.
Version 0.77 released June 16th, 2007.
- I've open sourced the last dependency of this project, sharedlib.
- I've also renamed almost all of the package names. Sorry about this; a simple global search and replace should be easy to do.
Version 0.76 released September 16th, 2006.
Version 0.75 released September 5th, 2006.
First released September 22nd, 2004.