Features we hope to have for the 2.0 release.
- Port to use the Java 7 language but only use basic Java 5 APIs.
- Android support. Needs AWT to be an optional dependency.
- Add the ability to use Commons Imaging as an Image I/O plugin.
- Improve JPEG read support.
- Rewrite and fully generalize TIFF parsing to support arbitrary complexity TIFF files instead of just EXIF.
Lower level API for reading raw fields and directories, and a higher level API for image structures.
- Add pluggable TIFF tag sets.
- Parse some EXIF maker notes.
- Add a structured way to write IPTC image metadata to JPEG files.
- Reading all images from .gif files isn't working. see: getAllBufferedImages().
- Add DNG metadata/image info read. Perhaps some RAW formats as well.
- Other file formats, eg. WebP.
- Support reading images incrementally, eg. page at a time for multi-page TIFFs, to save memory.
- Provide per-image image info in multi-image formats.
- More control over writing.
- Writing multiple images into a file.
- Add support for more than 8 bits per channel.
- Add support for reading and writing detailed XMP metadata fields.
- Add request/hint params to ImageFactory, per Endre's suggestion.
- Allow user to disable autoconvesion to sRGB/Grayscale.
- More formats should subclass imagemetadata class to include format-specific info ie. GIF's transparency index.
- Improve Javadoc and write more FAQs / examples.
- Publish image library (possibly) and links to other libraries.
- Develop suite of unit tests that only depend on images in the public domain.
- Share test image suite with comments.